Wednesday, July 10, 2013

News and Notes: Erasmo Ramirez, Adam Eaton, Andrew Bailey and more.

Here's the latest news from around the league that could impact your fantasy baseball rosters:
  • It looks as if Erasmo Ramirez will be called up by the Mariners to start Thursday's game at home vs the Red Sox.  The 23 year old pitched well in his brief stint in the majors last year (59 IP, 48 SOs, 3.36 ERA, 1.00 WHIP) and has put up similarly impressive stats in the minors this year (48 2/3 IP, 45 SOs, 2.96 ERA, 1.274 WHIP).  However, his unimpressive minor league strikeout rate (7.2 SO/9) coupled with an equally unimpressive hit rate (8.8 H/9) have me questioning his ceiling as a major league pitcher.  His home park will help him out, but his first start against Boston looks risky (MLB leading .800 OPS) and I'm not sure he'll help you much in road starts against good clubs.  For now, I'd relegate him to spot starts at home against weaker clubs.
  •  Adam Eaton was surprisingly called up by the Diamondbacks yesterday to play center field and bat leadoff in his '13 debut with the club.  I thought he'd get more time at AAA, but Arizona clearly thought he was ready (elbow) and was eager to get the young spark plug into the lineup.  He'll undoubtedly sit against some left handed starters, especially in the early going, but he'll bat leadoff against righties and can help your team in the Run, BA and SB categories while throwing in the occasional HR (10 HRs in the minors in 'll, 2 last year in 85 ABs).  Eaton is capable of 20+ SBs in the second half provided he stays healthy.
  • Andrew Bailey has thrown 4 1/3 scoreless innings over his last 3 appearances, giving up only 2 hits and no walks while striking out 5.  Although Koji Uehara has done nothing to lose the job, the Red Sox obviously prefer Bailey as their closer, and I expect a couple more solid outings by Bailey will earn him the job back.  I'd wait a bit to pick Bailey up to make sure he continues to pitch well, but I'd certainly look to sell high on Uehara if you've got him.
  • Scouts from a handful of teams have been watching Milwaukee relievers Francisco Rodriguez, John Axford and Mike Gonzalez over the past week.  Most of these teams (the Orioles, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc.) don't need closers and are simply looking for bullpen depth, so Rodriguez owners might want to see if they can sell high on him now in the event he is no longer closing games for whatever club he ends up on.  Jim Henderson owners need to stay patient.  Milwaukee isn't offering Henderson in trades and he will almost certainly get the closer job back after Rodriguez is dealt.
Last night I traded Justin Verlander.  I'm a big fan of anchoring my staff with a few studs that are as guaranteed to perform as pitchers can be.  I also have David Price and Madison Bumgarner on that staff, among others.  Unfortunately, my hitting has really been suffering and I needed to trade from strength to address it.  In return for Verlander I received Justin Upton and Julio Teheran.  I fully expect Upton to bounce back with a solid second half, and I think Teheran may be emerging as a solid fantasy performer who can somewhat make up for the loss of Verlander.  What do you guys think of the trade?  Do you think I got enough in return?  A steal?  Terrible trade?  Let me know what you think, and if you have any possible trade scenarios for your teams I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment